Saturday, June 18, 2011

Start of Something

I've walked in the outdoors all my life; at times as a child it seemed boring, but my enjoyment in it has grown steadily to the point where it revitalises me.

I've been fortunate to have lived in Cape Town, South Africa for most of the past 25 years, and there can be few better places in the world to live if you love hiking; I'm always looking for a new trail and have numerous books which I use to guide me into new areas, but have recently decided that I should start using the web to publish my walks for other people to use, and perhaps we can get a community going sharing the best walks around the Cape.

Part of this decision has been driven by the books; they have a small market and are obviously cost-constrained, often with poor maps and perhaps 10 or 15 hikes per book. They are also out-dated in an age of data and GPS-enabled mobile phones.

For some time I have created GPS tracks of my walks and contributed them to the Open Street Map project; but as the name suggests, this is aimed at mapping streets, not footpaths. So I plan to publish those tracks here, in a more useful format for the people who may want to use them, along with GPX files for download to a GPS unit, a short description and a few photos.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment